Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Do you have a writing assignment requiring images? a thesis project? a group presentation? We can help with image research, navigating digital collections & databases, creating digital images, software tools, metadata and citing, or accessing course image groups in ARTstor and JSTOR.
- Support image and digitization needs of faculty & students for teaching an scholarship.
- Digitize, catalog and publish library print & image collections for online access.
Services to Faculty & Students:
- Provide image research assistance - help to locate & retrieve appropriate images for teaching, presentation, course projects & theses. May also assist with images for publication.
- Teach how to navigate digital collections & databases including Trinity's institutional repository, ARTstor, Wikimedia Commons, Digital Public Library of America.
- Create digital images in support of demonstrated academic or scholarly need if images are not already available digitally, or if those found online are not appropriate format, size or rights status.
- Advise on software tools for presentation & sharing.
- Advise on metadata creation & citation.
- Consult on digitization of image or print collections. Factors to be considered include: scholarly & preservation value, uniqueness & condition of materials, descriptive metadata, availability of appropriate staff & equipment.
Best place to begin your search. Over 60,000 Trinity images join over 1.8 million ArtStor images covering all media, cultures, and periods.
Public photography archives
Search for ArtStor and Trinity images now in JSTOR! Use the "images" tab to search, or use the "Browse" tab to select either "Images" or "Your Institution's Collections."
Repository of free-use images, sound, and other media files.
- Ad*Access (Duke Univ.)
7,000 U.S. & Canadian printed ads from 1911-1955.
Scholarly resources for study of material and visual culture in Islamic societies. Thousands of sites, publications, images and more focusing on architecture, urbanism, landscape design, visual culture related to the Muslim world.
- British Museum Collection
Over 2 million objects
Connecticut & Hartford History
- Connecticut Digital Archive
15,000+ primary sources, collaboration of CT libraries & museums focusing on historical artifacts including photographs, maps, broadsides, oral histories & manuscripts. Documents events, people & places playing a role in CT & American social, business, political, educational, cultural & civic life.
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
Historical maps of the world, including atlases, globes, maritime charts, local maps, children's and manuscript maps.
Europe's cultural collections
- Flickr Commons
Public Photography Archives
- Getty Institute and Museum Images
Getty gateway for browsing and searching collections. Use link at lower right to access "Open Content Images." This is a new Getty initiative that allows downloading of high resolution images in jpg file format.
- Library of Congress American Memory Project
Gateway to 9 million items organized into 100 thematic collections from Library of Congress resources documenting U.S. history & culture. Formats include manuscripts, prints, photos, posters, maps, sound recordings, film, books, pamphlets, sheet music.
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs
1 million images from extensive Library of Congress print & photograph collections documenting U.S. history and culture. Examples: Farm Security Administration photos, WPA prints, Civil War glass negatives, cartoons, Ansel Adams photos of Japanese-American internment, baseball cards, much more.
- Life Photo Archive
Millions of Life magazine images hosted by Google, from 1700's-present. Images not larger than 600 pixels on longest side.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, Collections
Museum collections, plus Timeline of Art History containing useful art historical information.
- National Gallery of Art Images
Includes 20,000+ open access digital images up to 3000 pixels for free download & use.
- National Portrait Gallery (Britain)
11,000 portrait paintings, sculptures & drawings, plus 220,000 original photographs.
- New York Public Library Digital Gallery
Free & open access to 800,000+ images digitized from NYPB collections, including illuminated manuscripts, historical maps, vintage posters, rare prints, photographs & more.
- Smithsonian Online Collections
Links to online collections of all Smithsonian museums including Natural History Museum, American History Museum, National Museum of the American Indian, African Art Museum, American Art Museum, Cooper-Hewitt, Freer & Sackler Gallery, Hirshhorn, National Portrait Gallery.
Internationally recognized, provides access to California State Univ. IMAGE Project. Included by Library of Congress in its historic collection of Internet materials. 100,000 images with embedded metadata in 900 portfolios, coverage global, all areas of visual imagery. QuickSearch, Advanced, or Browse.
140,000 art & design images from the UK
- Magnum Photos (ARTstor collection)
80,000 photographs, can be searched by terms such as "medicine" or "technology"
- Ornithology Lantern Slides (ARTstor)
600 digitized colored lantern slides from Watkinson Library's Enders Ornithology Collection
- Forestry Images
USDA images: Trees, Insects, Diseases, Silviculture, Urban Forestry, Wildlife, and more
- HubbleSite Gallery
Hubble Telescope images
- US Gov. Science Resources (images and video) compiled by Library of Congress
Image databases of five federal agencies: NIX NASA Image Exchange, NOAA Photo Library, USDA Plant Image Gallery, USGS Multimedia Gallery and USGS-NBII Life.
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Everything about birds
- Audubon's Birds of America (U. Pittsburgh)
Complete double elephant folio set of Audubon’s Birds of America, accompanied by his Ornithological Biography.